Monday, March 11, 2013

Yarn: A love story.

The 39 day wait until South Spokane Fiber Fest is killing me.  To pass the time, I decided to try my hand at writing a short story.  Here goes:
The setting: The Community Center in a farming town south of Spokane, April 20th.
Main Character:  Purl Kitchener, a happy go lucky knitter undecided about her next project.

Purl had enjoyed the drive to Fairfield and was excited about her first Fiber Fest.  Entering the Community Center, Purl looked around and saw a friendly spinner with an open seat next to her.  Purl politely asked to sit next to the spinner and quickly struck up a conversation as she pulled out her latest knitting project.  The spinner introduced herself as Kate VonPly, but she went by Lazy Kate.  Lazy Kate was spinning some delicious alpaca fiber she bought earlier from a vendor just a few feet away.    
As Purl and Lazy Kate were chatting Purl felt something staring at her.  She quickly turned around but couldn’t tell what it was.  A few minutes later she felt it again.  Whipping around she saw it.  There it was brazenly staring at her as it hung next to a really cute project bag.  It was the perfect color of yarn.  Purl adverted her eyes; she didn’t want to give the skein the wrong impression.  She didn’t want the yarn to see the want and need in her eyes. 
Finally the yarn whispered to her in a faint Spanish accent, “Purl, I am the yarn your heart desires.  Do not deny us this love.  My darling, come closer and pet my soft merino plies.”
“No, I….I…can’t.  I don’t have a project in mind for you.”  Purl couldn’t help herself, she was slowly moving towards the yarn as if she were a positively charged ion.
The yarn chuckled softly, “Oh my love, when has that ever stopped you?  Take me home and we will make a beautiful project together!”
Unable to resist the sweet siren song of the yarn, Purl picked the skein up and fell completely head over heels in love.  She bought the cute project bag next to it too.
The End.

I hope you take three things away from this little story:
  1. Come to South Spokane Fiber Fest, you may just meet a new friend and fall in love
  2. South Spokane Fiber Fest has a great selection of not only fiber, but also yarn.  Yarn from indie dyers and brands you may not see at your local yarn store.  Yarn dyed and sold by folks who are passionate about the fiber arts.
  3.  I read too many romance novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment